Saturday, September 12, 2009

~My Yellowstone

So I guess I should explain what this blog is all about.

Jumping to the point of purchasing my vintage camper (I'll go back to when I started the search later, but for now...)

I started to post pictures of my trailer restoration on Flickr, but decided I wanted to write about my restoration adventures also.

This is the first blog site I came across and since it was through Google I was happy.
I have a gmail account so I didn't have to, again, put in all of my personal information on yet another web site (Yippee!) so here goes...

Here's a couple pictures of my Yellowstone Camper.
These pictures were actually taken by the lady I bought it from.

I've had this trailer parked in front of my house for a year now. I've started the restoration process, but it's been a slow start.

In the beginning I had posted a 'Want' ad on Craigslist, basically asking someone to sell me their "canned ham" camping trailer. I said a little fixing up would be OK, but I didn't want anything that was a 'Pit'.

This lady had contacted me about her trailer that she no longer wanted. She had purchased it originally to use as a "Pool House/Shower Room" and had already done some work to the trailer. She boasted about putting a Kool Seal coating on the roof, stripped all of the house paint off the exterior, and had started to fix the floor entrance and paint the interior.

Okay, so I like the "Silver" look, although I want to add the Aqua stripe back onto it. (It's the original paint job, like the one below). I haven't decided If I want to add the White back on though.
KoolSeal:
Since starting my renovations,
I have discovered that the roof originally had a layer of what looked like *burlap and tar underneath the 'KoolSeal' layer which had bubbled up horribly, due to moisture.

This is a 'popped' Bubble.

*burlap and tar
This was an old mans home for a long period of time, and apparently an old 'trick' to sealing a roof is to use a cold tar with a product similar to burlap. Makes sense, but is seriously messy to clean up!

This has all been stripped off now, but more on that later.

This is what I refer to as Kilz Hell.

If you look closely, you can see water damaged paneling below the window. Both 'end' windows had this damage, so I am replacing the panels to fix that problem.

I cannot possibly replace all of the wood paneling, so I am replacing some panels and keeping some painted.

The cabinets will definitely be stripped.

Here is how they "fixed" the floor.

More on this later.

Much more...

Much, much muuuuchhhh more!

So I had driven all the way up to Issaquah to look at the trailer, although I was pretty sure I had wanted it before even getting there. The seller and I had already decided on a price and it looked perfect from the pics. After getting the paperwork sorted out and a trip to the DOL, I was on my way. back to my home on the Peninsula (just North of Tacoma).

I drove it home, even though the hitch ball on my Nissan was slightly too big, and now I have found out that the bearings are in need of some serious repair (or replaced?) that my husbands department though.

Now thinking about it, I should have had it towed, but I made it just fine.

to be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment